The power and the glory
David Wood is a devout Christian, an exceptionally skilled debater and apologist, a loving husband, a father to five (!!!) sons - two of whom apparently have profound disabilities - and a very well-reasoned, measured, and powerful voice against the abominable heresy of the Word that we know of as Islam.
In many ways, David Wood - he could be Doctor David Wood at this point, I have no idea whether he has actually completed his PhD or not - is an exemplary human being.
And yet... he was once a psychopath who tried to bludgeon his own father to death with a hammer.
Watch the video below, in full. Yes, it is 35 minutes long, but trust me on this, it's worth the time:
- The entire Universe around us somehow spontaneously came out of nothing at all in a gigantic explosion - which, by the way, sounds suspiciously like the Biblical account of Creation;
- Life more or less somehow spontaneously emerged from some random flash of lightning into a nutrient-rich "soup", something on the order of 4 billion years ago;
- Through an extremely slow and difficult process of evolution, various organisms somehow came into being over the next 3 billion years;
- The pace of that creation increased dramatically, somehow, about half a billion years ago, to create the vast array of biodiversity that we observe in the fossil records;
- Mammals somehow came along in the form of small rodents that were contemporaries of the dinosaurs and survived a mass extinction event at the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary;
- Those mammals somehow then branched off and evolved and mutated and split and evolved some more into apes, the exact process of which, and the rate of which, has never been properly explained;
- Those apes evolved, somehow, into humans;
- Humans somehow developed intelligence, consciousness, and - most critically - souls;
- Using those souls, which developed somehow, Man comes up with a code of morality that has roots in nothing and yet, somehow, just sort of... works;