Mind. Blown.

I finally just finished watching John Wick: Chapter 2, and yes, I know, that's kind of a ridiculous amount of time required to watch a movie that was released back in, like, February and went to video sometime in early May.

What can I say- I am sometimes very slow and stupid.

But I have to say, I am simply amazed by this film.


There isn't a single wasted moment in it. There is not one scene that does not bristle with energy and is not stylishly shot. There is not one action sequence that is anything less than jaw-dropping.

About the only flaw that I can find in the movie is that maybe the characters are not particularly well developed or interesting- but that is because, one way or another, they are all going to get killed to death by the walking incarnation of the boogey man himself, John Wick.

Speaking of the titular character- I don't know how Keanu Reeves has managed this late-stage career change, but whatever voodoo hoodoo he do, it's bloody well working.

Long gone are the days when you could think of Keanu Reeves as the stoner chucklehead from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. Gone, too, are the days when you could think of him as just another good-looking square-jawed Hollywood action hero from Speed.

His turn as Neo in The Matrix was a role that defined him as an icon, but then the next two movies in that trilogy took all of that star power that he had generated, and shat all over it. The sad thing is, it wasn't even really his fault that those two movies were so dreadful; hell, even Clint Eastwood in his prime couldn't have salvaged scripts that were so moronically stupid and so utterly padded with nonsense.

But recently, Keanu's movies have largely been under-the-radar: Man of Tai-Chi, 47 Ronin, and of course the original John Wick. Having seen all three of these, I have to say, his versatility as an actor is surprising and quite impressive.

It is this latest film, though, that kicks things into a completely different gear.

I'm not going to give away anything about the movie; if you haven't already seen it, go check out today's excellent Return of Kings article about the film. It breaks down the movie's brilliant stylistic and artistic touches much better than I can (or have time to do).

I will say this, though: along with the original John Wick and the superb, supremely brilliant Kingsman, this is quite simply one of the most badass masculine films that you will ever have the pleasure of watching.

And if you haven't seen this movie yet- STOP making excuses, crank up your favourite streaming service, and watch it now. You'll thank me once the 2 hours that you've invested are amply repaid with a film whose excellence somehow manages to vault way over the extremely high bar set by its predecessor.

I can't wait to see what they're going to do with the next chapter in this series.

Comments

  1. Completely agree. Also, the ROK article was excellent.

    While we are on the subject of movies, especially if you haven’t seen my review yet or listened to Daddy Warpig’s review on Geek Gab, go see Baby Driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I had a look at the trailer for Baby Driver on the back of your review of the film, and I have to admit, it looks pretty damn good. I'll go check it out.

      Delete
    2. I was permabanned from ROK because I had the temerity to suggest that the term 'neomasculine' sounded gay, so I don't hang out there anymore. I figured that they were basically safe space snowflakes with a thin veneer of red pill.

      Delete

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Popular Posts