The Battle Hymn of the Republic


Sticking with the musical theme for a moment- there aren't many songs that really get me choked up. But there are a few- and most of them have to do with pride, patriotism, and brotherhood.

One of them is a song that every American knows the tune to and almost no American can actually sing properly- The Star-Spangled Banner by Francis Scott Key.

It doesn't matter how many times I hear the national anthem of the United States of America; I get misty-eyed every single time. I suppose it rather helps that I quite like this country and its people, but still- it's a powerful work.

Another, which I never really fully understood for many years, is Battle Hymn of the Republic:
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword,
His truth is marching on.
 
CHORUS:
Glory, glory, hallelujah! Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah! His truth is marching on.
 
I have seen Him in the watchfires of a hundred circling camps;
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps,
His day is marching on.
 
CHORUS 
He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His Judgement Seat.
Oh! Be swift, my soul, to answer Him, be jubilant, my feet!
Our God is marching on.
 
CHORUS 
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me;
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.
 
CHORUS
I dunno how y'all feel about it, but this song has taken on a special significance for me this year.

For this is the year in which the American people finally said, ENOUGH.

Enough of the mistakes and folly that have led this nation to disaster after catastrophe. Enough of the insanity of social justice and all of its incipient follies.

The Battle Hymn of the Republic was written at a time when America faced a similar crossroads. Sadly, the Union went to war for all of the wrong reasons in the War Between the States, but it was what it was and we cannot change that fact. Recently, the nation faced a similar choice: continue along the path to ruination and war, or take up at least the possibility of redemption, renewal, and unity.

So far, the signs are that America chose wisely. Thank Almighty God for that- as I have done, every single day, since the night of Nov. 8th.

But our work is not done. It has not even fairly begun. We will need all of our strength and willpower, and all of the Lord's help, to see ourselves through the struggles ahead.

Yet I remain optimistic. My time in America has taught me that we foreigners underestimate the American people only at our great peril. Foolish and misguided they may be; vapid and superficial and debased their culture may have become. But never let us forget that this is still a nation under God, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to values and ideals that have forged the greatest civilisation ever seen on Earth.

As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free- indeed. I couldn't have said it better.

Actually, on that note- has anyone ever found a decent heavy metal cover of this song? The closest I've ever gotten is that old version by STRYPER- and I don't think it's very good.

Comments

  1. Amen

    There are few songs that, for one reason, or memory, or another, bring tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a "lighter" note - we used to come up with some creative lyrics off of that melody in school, usually based on burning down said school....

    ReplyDelete
  3. One must not forget to mention the Airborne version, "Blood on the Risers".

    Gory, gory what a hell of a way to die!
    He ain't gonna jump no more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Popular Posts