Thanksgiving

There is a heart in America -- a good, deep, loving, and true heart. It's always been part of our land, from the time the pilgrims first bowed their heads to thank the Lord for His bounty to this day. You only need eyes to see and ears to hear, for there are signs of the love, the courage, the hope, and the generosity of the American heart at every bend in every road, and there is the music of its song in every community throughout our land.

-- President Ronald Wilson Reagan, remarks at the Presentation Ceremony for the Young Ameican Medals for Bravery and Service, November 13, 1987

Of all of the holidays that are unique to the American calendar, Thanksgiving is by far and away my favourite. It's not just because this day is intended to be spent with family and closest friends, eating waaaaaaaay too much food and drinking very much to excess. Those are all good and worthy things, to be sure, but there is much more to it than that.

I actually love Thanksgiving because this remarkable tradition reveals something fundamental about the character of Americans.

I have spent more than ten years now living with and among Americans. My time here in this fair land has taught me many valuable lessons, but perhaps the most important of these lessons is this one:

For all of its many faults, for all that has gone terribly wrong with it, this is still a land of wonders and riches, and its people, for all that is wrong with them, are gracious and welcoming as no others are.

Its people, who have created a living, breathing tradition full of love and happiness, are for the most part genuinely good and decent. They treat strangers with grace, dignity, and decency as long as we obey their laws and observe some very basic rules of civilised behaviour. These are the same people whose forefathers carved a nation out of the wilderness with nothing much more than their bare hands, an iron will, and the awesome and terrible Hand of the Almighty over them.

This is a God-blessed land, full of good people who seek nothing more than to live their lives in peace and pursue their own ends under the benign and watchful eye of the Lord.

For my part, although I may mock Americans for their many follies and idiosyncrasies, mine are the gentle jibes and japes of a man who loves this country and all that it stands for, who loves her people and is grateful beyond words for the endless opportunities and blessings that have been given to me during my time here.

I am proud to be a friend of America and her people. I am honoured to stand with my brothers as we fight a long twilight struggle to preserve and defend and recover Western civilisation. And I am deeply grateful for all that has been given to me.

Yes, there is much to be grateful for. There always is, no matter how little we might have by way of material possessions.

I am thankful for my parents and my sister. I am blessed beyond measure to be the son of two remarkable people who love each other and their children with every fibre of their being.

My father is the man that I have spent my entire life aspiring to be, the role model that every father should be to his son. I could not have asked for a better guiding light. He is a man of unbending principle with an insatiable desire to learn as much as he can about the world around him, yet whose only real concern, from the moment that he wakes (ridiculously late) to the moment that he goes to sleep (again, really stupidly late) is the welfare and safety of his wife and his children.

My mother did her best to raise me right, and I think overall she did a pretty damn good job. She has passed on her values to me and to my sister with firmness and discipline, and a mother's love, and they have stood me in good stead all of my life. They are the rock upon which I build my future; this, along with the mortar of my faith in God, will provide me with all that I need in the days to come.

My sister may be a bit of a twerp sometimes. She may be a feminist, which pains me greatly. She may be difficult and illogical and overemotional and given to frequent fits of foolishness and dissipation. But she is still my sister, brat though she might be. She is my responsibility to watch over and protect, and I take that responsibility with utmost seriousness. She is my one true confidante, who knows me as no one else possibly could.

I am thankful for my second family, found through years of training at my martial arts school. They are the brothers that I never had growing up, the sisters that I can punch and kick (GENTLY!!!), the closest and truest friends that any man could have. I have shed sweat and blood with them, and through them I have grown to be a better man.

I am thankful for the presence in my life of a certain rather sweet and feminine woman, who brings me much joy (and some drama, from time to time, but then, she is female). The physical distance between us is difficult to deal with, but she fills what time we have together with joy and laughter.

As LTC Tom Kratman once said, "[L]ife with a bad woman, either present in your home or siphoning your bank account, is surely Hell. But life without a good woman sucks, too." This is absolute truth, and no man should ever deny himself the soft comforts and pleasures of such a woman.

To obtain one, though, requires years of discipline and dedication to self-improvement. The road to being the best man you can be never ends, but the destination is not the point. The journey, and the lessons that you learn along the way, make the hardships of that road worthwhile.

And I am deeply grateful for the fact that, not quite six years ago, I decided to embark down that road myself. It was the single best decision I ever made.

I didn't know what would happen when I did. I was weak and afraid at the time. But if my past self could see the man that he would become, he would have kicked himself, hard, for not taking the plunge years earlier.

Trust me when I say this: when you embark down that road, you may start out filled with doubts and fears, but you will see your labours repaid an hundredfold.

You will gain strength from lifting hard. You will become healthy and virile through eating right. You will become financially independent and secure through living below your means. You will lose your fears and gain newfound respect for yourself through taking up a real martial art, and you will forge unbreakable bonds of brotherhood in the process. You will gain knowledge and wisdom far beyond your years by reading works written by the hands of the great men of our past and present.

These are gifts beyond measure, priceless jewels that are our inheritance by right as men. We lack them only because we have forgotten who and what we are. Reclaiming them requires only that we remember that we are men, and hold ourselves to the standards required of us as such.

Now, I don't generally like to bring politics into Thanksgiving, but this year it's probably appropriate. I am immensely grateful to the American people for electing Donald Trump as their next President.

I fear that Americans take this remarkable republic of their for granted all too often. Most of you have no idea what it is like to live under any system other than a peaceful and largely fair and free democracy. You've no idea what happens when a dictator usurps that remarkable Constitution of yours and arrogates to himself powers that directly harm your liberties. None of you were alive when Presidents Lincoln, Wilson, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt did precisely those things, though you live with the consequences of those actions to this day.

I, on the other hand, have lived in countries led by (mostly benign, thank God) dictators. I hope you never have to experience what happens when a dictator takes over and destroys your country through reckless ambition and misrule.

But you came within shouting distance of letting precisely that happen earlier this November. You were, at certain points, looking at electing someone more corrupt, venal, mendacious, psychopathic, and downright evil to the highest office in the land than any other candidate for that position in the Republic's history.

Yet I had faith in God, and in His people, that this would not come to pass. My faith was sorely tested this year, to be sure, but once again, the good Lord came through for us, working through you, the American people.

Make no mistake, though, all you have been given is a reprieve, a temporary and fleeting stay of execution. The destruction of the American empire is assured at this point. There is no way to avoid it. New racially homogeneous nations will arise in its place, at least one of which will almost surely be majority white and with hopefully a bit more humility, a bit less crassness, than the one that spawned it.

Even then, with that Time of Testing staring us right in the face, I remain cheerful and optimistic.

It was not always so. There was a time, a few years ago, when it seemed as though there was little to be thankful for. At every turn, people like you and me seemed beset by obstacles on every side. Our attempts to live as free and strong men were everywhere being threatened. Our very masculinity was mocked and derided; men like us were being hounded from our jobs, our reputations torn to shreds for the most frivolous of reasons.

And yet look at us now. Our creed is resurgent. The future leader of the American Republic is an unapologetic, unabashed Alpha male whose core principles align closely with our own (or so we hope, anyway). We have seen our enemies cower in fear and in many cases abandon the field entirely. We have seen their true natures revealed. They are numerous and terrible, but they are also weak and cowardly- whereas we are few, but we are strong.

I am thankful, as always, to you, my readers. There aren't many of you, and that's fine. I don't write for anyone other than myself, but I am always surprised and honoured by the fact that there are people out there who read my writing and enjoy it. Thank you for reading and commenting, for keeping me honest, and for your support.

One of the hardest things for any man to confront is the feeling that he is alone in this world. For many years that was the reality for any man who broke free of the conformity of thought and deed imposed on him by a sick and dying civilisation- but not anymore. We are not alone.

We are strong, we are happy, and one day, not far from now, we will be truly free, in a society that values masculine leadership and honours strong men who live fiercely, fight for what we believe in, and protect that which we love.

Finally, above all, I give thanks to Almighty God, whose infinite love for His Creation surrounds us at every turn. My faith in God was not easily come by. It took many years and more than a few hard knocks to get there, but I finally understand what Christians are talking about when they say that their relationship with God is a deeply personal one, very much like that between an errant and foolish son and a stern but loving father.

My faith in God grows stronger by the day, as I see what miracles He has wrought. He has not abandoned the American people in its hours of greatest need, and in spite of my former lack of faith, He never once abandoned me. My faith in Him has been repaid an hundredfold, and yet all that He has ever asked from me is that I obey His commandments.

And now, enough of such solemnity. It's time to EAT, lads! Crack open the beer and wine, let the alcohol and merriment flow, and let us stuff ourselves silly this day.

Happy Thanksgiving, to all of you. May God bless you, and always, always, may God bless the United States of America.



Comments

  1. That was superb. Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope all y'alls thanksgiving weekends are good

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Popular Posts