So is it any good, then?

Time to take a slight break from all of the serious stuff about politics- since, after all, we're looking at a Trumpslide in a few days' time, which is going to be absolutely frakkin' hilarious to watch when the news media and the country's liberal/cuckservative establishment goes into complete meltdown.

Instead, I'd like to talk about the latest epic brofest that we know as Gears of War 4. Now, you might be surprised to learn that I have not, in fact, played it yet. This is partly because I don't have quite as much time as I once did to play video games on the weekends, and mostly due to sheer laziness on my part- I just can't be arsed to get over to GameStop and pick up a copy of the damn thing.

From what I gather, though, it is really pretty damned good. The games media can't shut up about it.


However, there are two rather large problems that I can see here.

First, as our experience with #Gamergate proved so thoroughly, the mainstream gaming media cannot be trusted. They are not objective. They are not interested in reviewing games properly. They are almost fully SocJus-converged. Just because various gaming magazines and webzines gave the new GoW game 9/10 does not mean it is actually that good.

Let us not forget that many of the same establishments singing the praises of the new Gears game also gave HALO 5: Guardians a solid 9/10. And let's be honest, they were horribly wrong.

Now, I need to cop a bit of stick about this as well, because if the gaming press gave that game inflated reviews when it was released, so too did I when I reviewed it. But I'm man enough to admit that I was wrong. Having replayed HALO 5: Guardians many times in the year since its release, I am perfectly willing to confess that my original score of 94%- which I said at the time was definitely very generous- was way too high. While it is still a great game and I still enjoy playing it, the fact is that it messed up so much of the tried-and-true HALO formula that it just cannot compare to its predecessors.

So it's likely that the reviews for the new Gears game are a bit on the generous side, to say the least.

Which leads us to the second problem. And this comes down to an article that I wrote for the now sadly-defunct Reaxxion back in June last year about the possibility of a new Gears of War game.

Back then, I basically said that there were three major problems with the notion of a new Gears. First, pretty much everything that could be said, had been. Second, the team that took over the reins of the franchise was a bit wet-behind-the-ears. (I was probably wrong about that one, as it happens.) And third, and most importantly, the previous attempt to tack on a new chapter to the franchise, Gears of War: Judgment, simply wasn't very good.

Quite simply, I was not looking forward to this new game.

However, it could very well be that I am badly wrong, and that the new game is awesome. So I'll leave it up to you guys to tell me. If you've played the game, let me know what you thought of it in the comments below.

And if/when I finally drag my lazy butt into a store and buy the damn thing (secondhand, of course- why spend perfectly good money on a disposable game?), and then actually play it through, then I'll let you know what I thought of it.

Comments

Popular Posts