The sound of your spine tingling

Commenter Kapios alerted me to the latest launch trailer for Top Gear Series 24 the new Amazon Prime show featuring the former hosts of what was formerly THE GREATEST TV SHOW IN THE WORLD. And, like him, I reacted very much the way a 5-year-old kid does on Christmas morning:


Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy oh boy. They're BACK!!!

Well, it looks like I just found my new favourite thing to do on Friday nights, starting November 18th. I suspect Amazon is going to make quite a packet from disgruntled fans of the old show who are seriously cheesed off at the way the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation has turned their once-magnificent stallion of a show into a rented mule.

Why do I say that? Well, just LOOK at the clips from the new show- ALL of the things that made the old Top Gear so brilliantly, ridiculously, wonderfully amazing are all there:


I was laughing so hard watching that compilation of matey blokishness that I nearly ruptured my spleen.

This show is going to be EPIC. And it's going to make the Beeb's management absolutely wet its collective pants in fury and terror.

Comments

  1. Ahem.

    Bostonians of proper upbringing and education not only speak English, we speak better English than the English do, an English closer to Shakespeare's than England speaks today, and we speak it with the non-rhotic accent that was very likely the most English accent prior to RP.

    Harrumph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So as a Boston brahmin, sir, do you indeed say "cah, doag, and pahk"? =)

      Actually, as "a political refugee and defector from the People's Republic of Massachusetts", how do you find the more laid-back speech patterns of Virginia?

      Delete
    2. I put this in the wrong place; silly me. I'm actually not a Brahmin; but my high school, the oldest school in this hemisphere - Harvard was founded to give our first graduating class a place to go, pounded the Brahmin accent into me. At this point I am accentless until I go home. At the first toll booth on the Mass Pike it comes flooding back.

      Delete
    3. Addendum: A Brahmin accent doesn't actually sound like that. About half of it is attitude, a bit of it is pace, some of it is aspiration, and the Hs where the Rs should be tend to be more drawn out. Moreover, A is often a drawn out Ahhh (baaahth) and W changes. Brahmin won't add an R to the end of a word which ends in a vowel and is followed by a word beginning with a vowel. No doubt there are aspects that, because I was too close to it, I cannot hear.

      Delete

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Popular Posts