The Children's Song by Rudyard Kipling

From the story "Puck of Pook's Hill":

Land of our Birth, we pledge to thee
Our love and toil in the years to be;
When we are grown and take our place
As men and women with our race.


Father in Heaven who lovest all,
Oh, help Thy children when they call;
That they may build from age to age
An undefiled heritage.

Teach us to bear the yoke in youth,
With steadfastness and careful truth;
That, in our time, Thy Grace may give
The Truth whereby the Nations live.

Teach us to rule ourselves alway,
Controlled and cleanly night and day;
That we may bring, if need arise,
No maimed or worthless sacrifice.

Teach us to look in all our ends
On Thee for judge, and not our friends;
That we, with Thee, may walk uncowed
By fear or favour of the crowd.

Teach us the Strength that cannot seek,
By deed or thought, to hurt the weak;
That, under Thee, we may possess
Man's strength to comfort man's distress.

Teach us Delight in simple things,
And Mirth that has no bitter springs;
Forgiveness free of evil done,
And Love to all men 'neath the sun!

Land of our Birth, our faith, our pride,
For whose dear sake our fathers died;
Oh, Motherland, we pledge to thee
Head, heart and hand through the years to be!

Comments

  1. God I love Kipling. Read the Jungle Book, Captains Courageous, Just so Stories, and despite that, hadn't realized he was a full blown fucking poet until I ran into "The 'Eathen" in Pournelle's There Will be War... and had the joy of finding my paren'ts complete collection of his verse after that.

    Still have it. It has a place of honor in my desk.

    I owe Pournelle many thanks for that, and other things, and look askance at those who badmouth him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if my other comment went through....

    Despite having and reading Captains Courageous, The Jungle Book (and having seen the WB cartoons of Rikki and the White Seal), and Just So Stories, I had not known he was a fucking poet of the first order until I read Pournelles "There Will Be War" (4th one I believe) and ran into "The 'Eathen"

    I promptly dug up a copy of his complete verse, and that has had a place of pride on my desk (not my bookshelf) since.

    I owe Pournelle for that, a love of history, and so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know the feeling. I grew up reading Kipling's work as a boy- I have no idea how many times I have read through both Jungle Book collections. But I didn't realise until a few years ago just what a great poet he was too.

      Funnily enough it was John Ringo (surprise surprise) who clued me into Kipling's verse. And I'm quite glad he did; there really is something about his writing that speaks to a man's soul.

      Delete

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Popular Posts