We come to it at last...

The great game of our time:


Or at least, that's what I hope, and pray, is true.

It looks spectacular. The cinematics, the story, the ideas, and the music that we have seen thus far all indicate a truly top-notch game. The initial reviews from critics are strong.

And yet, there is always that nagging fear- that for all that 343 Industries has going for it, somehow they're going to screw up the greatest franchise in gaming history with a lot of unnecessary social-justice nonsense, glitchy multiplayer, and unbalanced gameplay.

I hope those fears are unfounded. You see, I personally thought that HALO 4 was a phenomenal game. Was it as good as HALO 3, my personal all-time high water mark for games in general? Actually, in parts, it was. The immersive, white-knuckle combat of the first part of the assault on Ivanoff Station in the mission "Composer" is right up there with anything else in the HALO canon, and the ending after the long, terrible, desperate battle against the forces of the Didact (hey, that's me!) really hits you in the gut.

Overall, HALO 4 was a solid start. But now 343i has to prove that they've got what it takes to truly own the HALO franchise, and to out-Bungie Bungie. (This actually shouldn't necessarily prove to be too difficult. For the past few weeks, I've been playing Destiny, and I have to say, it's not half as much fun as HALO 4 was. Not to mention, the lore and back-story and all of that Grimoire nonsense is several thousand times more confusing than even Greg Bear's Forerunner Trilogy books.)

I will, of course, be posting my review of HALO 5: Guardians once I finally get my paws on a copy, which very sadly won't happen until probably Wednesday. But once I do get it, I fully expect my weekend to be basically consumed with making sure that STUFF GETS BLOWED UP BUT GOOD, in full surround sound.

After all, when you get the chance to play as a 900lb genetically, biologically, and cybernetically enhanced super-soldier who is basically Death made flesh, you might as well enjoy the experience.

Comments

  1. After all, when you get the chance to play as a 900lb genetically, biologically, and cybernetically enhanced super-soldier who is basically Death made flesh, you might as well enjoy the experience.

    Been there, there, done that, pre-ordered the exclusive Black Templar armour-skin.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Popular Posts