If you give a feminist a cookie...

kaley cuoco Long and short hairstyle
Before and after haircut. How is this difficult to understand???
An actress named Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, who used to look pretty damn good before she ignored sensible advice and cut her hair, made some comments the other day about how she wasn't really a feminist:
The actress also shared her thoughts on feminism, saying: 'I know a lot of the work that paved the way for women happened before I was around... I was never that feminist girl demanding equality, but maybe that’s because I’ve never really faced inequality.' 
She said she loved taking care of her 27-year-old husband. The couple will celebrate their first anniversary on New Year's Eve. 
'I cook for Ryan five nights a week: It makes me feel like a housewife. I love that. I know it sounds old-fashioned [Didact: No, it sounds normal], but I like the idea of women taking care of their men. 
'I’m so in control of my work that I like coming home and serving him. My mom was like that, so I think it kind of rubbed off.'
Predictably, feminists completely flipped their s**t and argued that Ms. Cuoco-Sweeting owes her $1m-per-episode pay cheque to the Big Strong Independent Women who paved the way for her to make that kind of money.

Ms. Cuoco-Swee- OK, that's it, I've had enough of this "hyphenated last name" rubbish, I'm calling her what she is.

Mrs. Sweeting therefore duly apologised for her comments and said that they were taken "out of context":
She wrote: 'In my Redbook article, some people have taken offense to my comments regarding feminism- if any of you are In the "biz" you are well aware of how words can be taken out of context. 
'I'm completely blessed and grateful that strong women have paved the way for my success along with many others. I apologize if anyone was offended. Anyone that truly knows me, knows my heart and knows what I meant.' 
The actress, who celebrated her one-year wedding anniversary with tennis player Ryan Sweeting on New Year's Eve, secured a $1 million-per-episode pay check last year along with her male co-stars Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki.
"Strong women have...". Oh dear.

The Fail is Strong in this One!
Like this, except vastly more stupid
Let's take a look at exactly why Mrs. Sweeting got that $1m-per-episode pay cheque.

The Big Bang Theory's ratings have improved every year that it has been on air. During December last year, the show was the top gainer in the ratings race. It has aired 171 episodes thus far over the course of nearly 8 seasons, giving it considerable staying power and, thanks to its ratings, tremendous advertising revenue.

Moreover, if you look closely at the people behind this show, they are almost all men.

As far as I can tell, all but one of the show's episodes have been directed by men.

The show's creator, Chuck Lorre, is a man. (Duh.) He's also worked on numerous hit sitcoms in the past. Looking at TBBT's credits roster, you'll see a large number of men involved. Looking at the people who write the episodes, at least two out of the three or four writers in every episode are male.

Put very simply, Mrs. Sweeting owes her massive mainstream success not to other women- but to other men. Men make it possible for her to do what she loves and get paid epic amounts of money for it. Men make it possible for her to live a lifestyle that most people can only dream of.

And that is quite remarkable given the nature of the show she works for.

This is a show which works very, very hard to portray men as effete, socially inept, bumbling man-children dependent on their mothers and addicted to video games and other "childish" diversions. The men are rendered almost completely useless by the presence of attractive women: Leonard nurses a truly epic case of Oneitis for Penny on the show, Sheldon is eventually whipped into line by his not-girlfriend Amy, Howard's girlfriend, then fiance, and finally wife becomes more like his overbearing Jewish mother over time, and Rajesh is afflicted by selective mutism in the presence of a woman.

It is a very funny show, up to a point- but I stopped watching it years ago, when I stopped watching basic cable and switched almost all of my entertainment demands to Hulu and Netflix. (You should stop watching it too.)

Mrs. Sweeting did a very foolish thing by apologising to the feminists who got their hairy legs all a-flutter over her comments. She should never have backed down in the face of their nonsense. She should, instead, have stood up for what she said and, if need be, doubled down. She benefited from the way that skilled men used her (undeniable) talent to market a funny show, which made it possible for her to earn a huge amount of money, but instead of acknowledging that men are responsible for her success, she retreated before easily-resisted pressures and attributed her success to factors that had little or nothing to do with them.e nonsense that they've been taught for decades about picking a successful career over setting down with a good man- to make the right choices.

If she likes being a loving housewife and partner to her husband, what exactly is wrong with that? I find this quite commendable.

Now if only she'd grow her hair back out and never cut it short like that ever again, we could get somewhere.

Kaley Cuoco
Ah, the good old days...
Note: When Carey sent me this story, I'd already read Mrs. Sweeting's original comments and figured that at some point, she would face a bit of a backlash over them. As expected, the follow-up article was full of immature nonsense from feminists and he did a very good Daffy Duck impression to show what he thought of it:

Can I just say- Daffy Duck creeps me the f*** out

Comments

  1. I really liked The Big Bang Theory for the first 3 seasons...before it became Friends...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Popular Posts