The root of all success
Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.
For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;
Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:
Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.
For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.
Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.
-- 2 Thessalonians 3:8-3:12
You deserve ONLY what you earn.It was not that long ago that young men everywhere were taught this most fundamental truth by their fathers, and their fathers' fathers, so that they could go forth into the world as real men. Men were taught simple, powerful values like courage, honour, strength, and fidelity, and were given a basic moral compass by the institutions that they attended- either their schools or their churches, usually both, would instill into them a respect for authority and a justified humility before God that would stay with them for life. They were taught that a man- a real man- earns his way through this world with physical exertion and hard sweat of the mind, and that the best things in life are earned, never given.
Those days are long gone.
Today, young men often grow up without father figures in their lives, or are raised (if at all) by men other than their biological fathers. Their schools teach them nothing other than the supposed evils of their existence as maladjusted girls, rather than their true existence as boys who will eventually become men, to build and lead civilisation forward. Their churches all too often abandon the Word of God and instead teach a corrupted, mealymouthed "gospel" that would have horrified the original founders of the Church of Christ. They are taught at every turn to be in perpetual conflict with their own inner natures and desires, to seek the easy way out, and to pursue instant gratification in the moment rather than hard work and the simple pleasures that come with them. When they emerge, blinking mole-like and disoriented into the real world, they are all too often completely unprepared for what they find. They find themselves entering a world that makes not the least bit of sense to any of them.
If they are lucky, and if their abilities to think have not been completely destroyed by 20 years of brainwashing and propaganda, they sometimes stumble upon glimpses of truths that completely reshape their worldview, and open their eyes to the possibilities of a world that they never knew existed.
This is the same journey that has been undertaken, in various forms, by every last one of us in the 'Sphere. We discovered that we were ripped off and lied to and taken advantage of for years, and we got sick of it and decided to do something about it.
Eventually, once you've done enough reading and seen enough of the things that various parts of the 'Sphere talk about in practice, several basic common themes become readily apparent. And they all come down to the same simple idea:
You deserve ONLY what you earn.It's really just that simple. It doesn't matter whether you entered the 'Sphere via the PUA side, the NRx side, the Paleo/primal side, or the personal improvement side. It all comes down to the same idea, one that society as a whole seems to have forgotten in its mad scramble for instant, cost-free gratification: you want something, you bloody well earn it. Even the most hard-core MGTOWers will recognise the basic truth of this, because they know that their lifestyles and their freedom to do whatever they want has to be secured through some form of income that is backed up by a real and useful product. Every PUA worth his notches knows this, because of all of the work he had to put in to score with women in countless bars and clubs. Every powerlifter who has ever gripped a bar and lifted knows this basic truth- the Iron Law respects ONLY hard work and perseverance, and nothing else.
If you ever get lost in your journey and you find yourself struggling to find your bearings, remember that simple maxim above. It is all you need to get back on the path of self-improvement:
- So you got blown out of 20 sets in one night, and even the 5s an 6s at the bar are laughing at you. Fine. Shake it off. Learn from your mistakes. Refine your approaches and use the information to improve your 21st. You deserve ONLY what you earn.
- So you hit failure on your heaviest squat or deadlift because of some small issue with your form. Learn from your mistake and don't repeat it during your next workout. You deserve ONLY what you earn.
- So you didn't get that promotion at work that you've earned five times over because your boss is incompetent and your organisation doesn't reward hard work. Either leave, or find a job internally that will reward talent, or suck it up for the moment and figure out a way to setup an income stream that is totally independent of your current job, so that someday you can tell the company to you-know-what and then walk away with a clear conscience and a happy heart. You deserve ONLY what you earn.
- So your personal finances are a mess and you're in over your head in debt. Take stock of what you really, truly need and cut everything else out. You'll be astonished at just how much useless frippery there is in your life. Economise ruthlessly, relentlessly, until you are free of debt. Work as hard as is needed to break the grip that others have over you and your life. Until you are truly free of debt, you can never claim to be truly free at all. You deserve ONLY what you earn.
- So you're fat, out of shape, and a soft, doughy joke of a man. Chain yourself to a squat rack. Learn the five basic lifts. Learn good form. Gear up properly. Track your progress. Unleash beast-mode at least once a week. Get the strength and the body that you want through hard work and pigheaded persistence. You deserve ONLY what you earn.