Laying on the RACISS with a trowel

Apparently some rich dude who owns a basketball team and its franchise possibly let his wealth get to his head a bit:
V: I don't understand, I don't see your views. I wasn't raised the way you were raised.
DS: Well then, if you don't feel—don't come to my games. Don't bring black people, and don't come.
V: Do you know that you have a whole team that's black, that plays for you? [Didact: The woman who allegedly asks this question is quite clearly partly black.]

DS: You just, do I know? I support them and give them food, and clothes, and cars, and houses. Who gives it to them? Does someone else give it to them? Do I know that I have—Who makes the game? Do I make the game, or do they make the game? Is there 30 owners, that created the league?

V: Honey, if it makes you happy, I will remove all of the black people from my Instagram.

DS: You said that before, you said, 'I understand.'
V: I DID remove the people that were independently on my Instagram that are black.
DS: Then why did you start saying that you didn't? You just said that you didn't remove them. You didn't remove every—
V: I didn't remove Matt Kemp and Magic Johnson, but I thought—
DS: Why?
V: I thought Matt Kemp is mixed, and he was OK, just like me.
DS: OK.
V: He's lighter and whiter than me.
DS: OK.
V: I met his mother.
DS: You think I'm a racist, and wouldn't—
V: I don't think you're a racist.
DS: Yes you do. Yes you do.
V: I think you, you—
DS: Evil heart.
Personally I could not care less whether Donald Sterling really said what he is quoted as saying above- and since it has not yet been proven that he is the man in this exchange, and that his mistress is the woman in it, I will not make any definitive statements about who said what until such things are proven. I don't watch or understand basketball, so I have no personal stake in this issue.

I do think that perhaps it's time we stopped making such a huge deal out of what appears to be a case of one person shooting off his mouth.

There are far bigger issues at hand here than the fact that this chap ran his mouth a bit about black people.

This conversation was recorded in the privacy of a man's home and was leaked to the media. Does no one worry about the precedent this sets? If this matter is taken to court and the fact that this was a conversation recorded in secret comes out, and a judge simply dismisses that fact, the precedent will have been set. You can no longer expect any privacy to think as you please; instead, you must always conform with the Goodthink imposed upon us by the rabbits of the world.

Moreover, all that the conversation above proves is that whoever uttered the words that caused this whole furore has a problem with his woman taking pictures of herself around black basketball players. Further transcripts reveal that he has a problem with that same woman associating with Magic Johnson and other black basketball players. All this reveals to me is a patent lack of understanding about the right to free association. His woman has, presumably, shown that she is not a psychopath and threatens no physical or overt harm to others around her; therefore, as far as any free society should be concerned, who she associates with is entirely her business and no one else's.

Did these comments show bad judgement? Sure. Did they reveal a small mind? Perhaps, but then I happen to know Hindus who can't stand to be around Muslims (and vice versa), Chinese who hold a deep dislike of white people, and light-skinned Indians who think very dimly of dark-skinned ones. As I have written before, xenophobia is far more than just a dislikeable reflex, and is not something that should be disregarded or dismissed.

From a libertarian's perspective, the only thing that these comments reveal is a man who dislikes the fact that his woman takes photos of herself around famous black athletes. That is a reprehensible position for anyone who believes in free association, to be sure. But is it really worth the sound and fury that has been raised in the media over comments that a man made in his own home?

Did the man in this transcript, who is allegedly Donald Sterling, the owner of the LA Clippers basketball team, threaten anyone with violence? No. Did he advocate ethnic cleansing or mass murder of people of colour? No. Did he argue that blacks should be banned using force of arms from basketball stadiums and games? No. Did he threaten to destroy the economic livelihoods of the blacks that work for him? No.

If he had made those comments, then outrage would be justified, because the man would be threatening others with violence. Such threats have exactly one justified response: force. The reason for this is simple. If a man initiates aggression, and that includes threatening your physical safety, then you have every right to fight back. But that is NOT what happened here.

Put into that kind of perspective, I'd say that the fact that President Jackass has now waded into this fracas should be all you need to know about just what a mountain has been raised out of this particular molehill.

To an outsider like me, this story isn't about how allegedly racist the owner of a single basketball team is. It is about how pathetic the rabbits of this world are in glomming onto any form of Badthink. Most of the world of pro basketball promptly scurried to their soapboxes, loudly and roundly condemning a bit of stupidity from a man who thought he was safe from prying ears as a horrible, terrible, no good, very bad example of WHITE RAAAAAAACISSSS!!! The only admirable response I have seen thus far comes from Mark Cuban:
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said ‘I have plenty of opinions, just not going to share them,’ fending off several inquiries before saying: ‘Obviously, if any business or entrepreneur says or does things that aren't congruent with what the organization is trying to convey, that's a problem. But it's not my problem.’
I will close simply by pointing out that the people in this world who most loudly cry RACISS at any possibly opportunity are almost always the ones who have never seen or understood true racism.

When you watch a formerly peaceful country descend into anarchy, bloodshed, and rape (as I have), and you see a minority group targeted for ethnic cleansing and brutalisation (like I have), then you tend to have very little patience for these silly little rabbits running around losing their minds about racism, whether real or imagined.

When you grow up in 4 different countries, live as an outsider all your life, are bullied and mocked throughout your teen years, and are subjected to all sorts of dumb schoolboy taunts about your parentage and skin colour (check, check, check, and triple-check, in my case), then you tend to develop a pretty high bar for what is, and is not, true racism.

And when you spend your entire life being told that you need to be better than your white counterparts in order to be considered an equal by them, then you tend to have roughly zero patience for people who claim that we should all be pulled down to the same level of mediocrity.

So if you're wondering about whether or not to get all outraged over what Donald Sterling allegedly said, then take it from me: there are bigger issues to worry about. Like, say, when the next Transformers movie is hitting the theatres.

Comments

Popular Posts