The futility of higher education
- From the time you're old enough to read, the virtues of hard work and focusing on your studies are dinned into you (this, by the way, actually is a good thing)
- Any grade less than a B (or a B- in case your parents really like you) is cause for parental heart palpitations
- If, heaven forbid, you should ever find yourself called into the principal's office for any reason, it's treated as a Very Serious Matter requiring the entire family to sit down and hash it all out to make it clear that what you've done is Totally and Completely Unacceptable
- Girls? What the hell are girls for anyway??? They get in the way of your college admissions essays!
- What do you mean, you want to go outside and play?! You've got a test to study for!
- If you don't get into at least one Ivy League/top 10 university, you've wasted 12 years of hard education!
- "Fun" is what you have AFTER you've completed your studies! And after you've gotten married and raised kids! And after you've spent your best years working in a good respectable stable job! (Uh, come to think of it... what is this "fun"???)