Meetups

So it turned out that Matt Forney was going to be in town for a few days as a stop on his way down to what is already being referred to as the Mardi Gras Meetup of Mass Destruction. He sent out an invitation to all and sundry to have a beer with him, and oddly, I was the only one who responded. On the plus side, I'm a small-group person anyway, so I wasn't the least bit bothered.

We caught up over a few beers at a small bar downtown and I have to say, I came away greatly impressed. Matt is a very genuine guy who has done some amazing things, which is easy to understand conceptually if you read his blog but much harder to really understand in concrete terms until you've met the guy. He's hitchhiked all over the country; he's worked in all sorts of jobs; he's met people from all walks of life; and he comes across as one of the most down-to-Earth chaps you could hope to know. He's articulate, opinionated, well informed, and very intelligent- and he understands what makes people tick at a very personal level.

We talked about a number of topics, including a number of the usual 'Sphere ideas about women, government, and urbanisation in America. Anyone who's been taking regular doses of Ye Olde Truthe Serum knows by now how rare and how odd it is to meet anyone else who thinks like you- hell, I was surprised to find that Singapore, one of the most emasculated cities on God's green Earth, can still produce guys like The Observer. So it was with great pleasure that I was able to chat with him for a couple of hours on subjects ranging from travel to politics to philosophy; despite our very different backgrounds, I think there was a common understanding and agreement on most things.

Matt is a man of integrity who stands by what he writes and lives the way he pleases. If you haven't started reading his blog- and if you're reading what I write, I can't quite see how you got here without stopping by there at some point- then you absolutely should. I don't necessarily always agree with everything he writes, but I have always found his writing to be thought-provoking, interesting, and carefully written (despite the sometimes angry tone, if you know how to read between the lines, you can see that there is a lot of deliberate thought going into certain off-the-wall rants).

I should also say that I owe Matt for giving me my first guest post slot at his blog, waaaaaay back when I got started over a year ago, with an article that kind of set the tone and the direction of my writing fairly early on. Now I'm a big believer in returning favours like this and also in helping this community (if you can even call us reactionary, anti-feminist, rabidly anti-establishment introverted types a "community").

So, if you're ever in the New York area and want to catch up in the city for a drink, let me know, I would very much enjoy getting to know the people who read what I write and what they think of it.

And the invitation for guest posts stands as always- if you wish to submit something, just send me an email. Stephanie Shepard has already submitted a couple, and I believe there is another one from her on the way too. If you would like to contribute, and I think that what you have to say is worthwhile and interesting, then do so.

Comments

  1. Didact, I am still writing that particular article, but I am giving it more time and consideration concerning the subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, take your time. I know it's of considerable personal importance to you and such things are worth doing right.

      Delete

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Popular Posts