Happy Christmas

From the Gospel of Luke:
Mary’s Song 
And Mary said:
“My soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is His name.
His mercy extends to those who fear Him, from generation to generation.
He has performed mighty deeds with His arm; He has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.
He has helped His servant Israel, remembering to be merciful
to Abraham and his descendants forever, just as He promised our ancestors.”
As I have said repeatedly, I am not a Christian. I am also quite well aware of the fact that the 25th of December seems to be a thoroughly arbitrary date on which to celebrate the birth of the Saviour of Mankind. (The idea that Christmas was deliberately timed to coincide with ancient pagan festivals, by the way, is a very poorly supported one.)

None of this changes the fact that this is a holiday worth celebrating. I view Christmas as a reminder of all that is good and green in life, of the things that really matter- faith, family, friends, and self. 

Everyone celebrates the birth of Christ in different ways; we celebrate by sharing what we have with others. We had company over last night for a very enjoyable meal; today, though, I'm looking forward to spending some quiet time at home with my family and catching up on my reading and writing. By my standards, that is a very enjoyable Christmas indeed.

As we approach the close of another year (and the end of my first year writing this blog) I wish you and your loved ones peace and goodwill, and thank you for stopping by this little corner of the 'Sphere for whatever knowledge or enlightenment I can provide.

Comments

Popular Posts